Introduced in 2014, UAN or Universal Account Number was aimed at becoming a universal number of provident fund accounts belonging to government employees. The UAN allows employees to have access to their PF accounts online. Each employee is assigned a unique UAN which is linked to their EPF accounts. The Indian Government has been encouraging the working population to link their Aadhaar cards to all their accounts and transactions, as it makes it secure and hassle-free.
Linking your Aadhar card with your EPF UAN is very simple and can be completed in just a few steps by visiting the official EPF website. The portal is open for use by the employees with PF accounts. The first step in linking your Aadhar to UAN is selecting the ‘UAN Member e-Seva’ tab and then entering the UAN and login password of your EPF account. The user is then required to go to the Profiles page and in the ‘Update KYC information’ section, enter the Aadhar details along with a scanned copy of your Aadhaar card.
Benefits of having Aadhaar backed EPF UAN
There are many benefits of having an EPF UAN that is linked to your Aadhar card as they are unique to each individual. It serves as an authentic proof of identity, proof of residence, as well as proof of citizenship. The Aadhar card also carries other crucial information about the employee such as biometric data including thumb impression and retina scan. These proofs of identification and information about an individual enables in carrying out transparent processes related to EPF. Given below are some of the benefits of having an Aadhaar backed UAN:
- Update KYC details: If you have an activated UAN, updating KYC information on the EPF portal is easy. All you need to do is login to your account and go to the Profile menu. Upon selecting ‘Update KYC information’, provide your correct name as mentioned in the document, along with the document number. After this step, you can upload all your scanned documents verified by your employer.
- Edit personal details: Using your active UAN, you can go to your EPF account online and make the required changes in the Profile Menu, such as email id or phone number, under the options ‘Edit Email ID’ or ‘Edit Mobile No.’ respectively.
- Modify nominations online: With your activated UAN, employees can update nominations online at any time through the portal. However, once the changes are made, it requires approval from your employer.
- Check online transfer claim status: Members with EPF UAN can check the claim status of online transfers by selecting ‘Claim Status Information’ and entering details such as State and EPFO Office, etc.
- Link multiple PF accounts: EPFO has advised its members to have their PF accounts linked to the UAN and also to seed KYC data against the unique number.
- Download Passbook: If you want to download your passbook, you are required to have the UAN number as well as other PF details. After logging in to the member portal and entering your UAN and password, you can go to the ‘Download’ section and download passbook.
The Aadhar linked UAN helps in reducing the chances of creating duplicate accounts, thereby bringing down the chance of errors. At present, out of 7.95 crore UAN issued, only 1.82 crore Aadhaar cards have been linked, and only 1.5 crore numbers have been digitally verified by employers.