Gone are the days when one had to stand in queue to get access to their account details and EPF balance in their provident fund. Those dark ages have been dispelled due to the Employees Provident Fund Organisation opening up a portal that allows easy access to one’s provident fund details online. So, how does that actually work?
Employees Provident Fund
EPF or Employees Provident Fund is commonly called as provident fund by many of us. It is a pension fund that gets contributions both from you and your employer(s). The contribution is limited to 12% of the employee’s basic wages, dearness allowance and retaining allowance (if there). The total contribution from both parties thus adds up to 24%.
Earlier, in order to check the EPF balance and the funds in the PF account, one had to have a hard copy of the PF passbook that would be checked at the bank and relevant details matched up before the cashier or checker could update the EPF balance in the passbook as and when asked. Some people even had the habit of getting to check it every month. That now has become an easier way through the online porting of the EPF system. Hard copies of passbooks are no longer being issued by EPFO.
E-passbook and how it works
E-passbook is basically the same old passbook that was available to employees but now it has an online form. It bears a record of the employee’s PF status and transactions done as per the date on which they were carried out. It is to be noted that the facility of e-passbook will be available online to active members, not to inactive accounts or accounts with negative balance. If a PF account has been closed, online passbook will not be available.
One needs to register on the EPFO website in order to gain access to the e-passbook. If you have uploaded your Electronic Challan cum Return for the salary or wage of May 2012 or later, you would be eligible for this facility. There would be no new username or password created. One government approved ID proof and the associated phone number can be used to log in. One needs to add the EPF account number and name and then click on the ‘Get PIN’ button. A PIN will be sent by SMS to the registered mobile phone and the same can be used to download the e-passbook.
The following steps will be needed to download the e-passbook and access account details therein –
- Log in to the EPFO website
- Registration needs to be completed by providing a government ID and name
- The mobile number and date of birth need to be mentioned
- Optional miscellaneous details can be filled in
- ‘Get PIN’ button to be actuated
- PIN is received through SMS on the registered mobile number
- PIN needs to be updated on the link
- The document number and mobile number can be used to log in
- Download e-passbook
- Select the PF office State
- Select the PF Office
- Mention the company PF code and employee PF account number
- Mention the employee name and click on ‘Get PIN’
- Another PIN is received on the mobile phone
- The second PIN is to be updated on the provided link
- The updated e-passbook will be available on the same page after 3 days